Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Holey People, Holy God

I was raised by my grandmother, and she spent the last years of her life in my home, while I cared for her. I've learned many life lessons from her, one of which I remembered today. 

She had a favorite gray, woolen sweater that was so well worn, it had developed several holes. When I offered to darn it one day, she objected, saying that the sweater had now become an indicator to her of how much she really mattered to someone. She said that when visitors came calling, if they couldn't take their eyes off the holes in her sweater long enough to pay attention to what she said - then, that was their last visit. Her time, at 95, was too short to waste on superficial people!

I kept that sweater after she died - as a matter of fact, I'm wearing it now - and it makes me smile to think of how much we matter to God, despite our many "holes". As a matter of fact, it's because of a certain God-shaped hole in all of us, that we come to desire a knowledge of spiritual things, which hopefully leads us to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. It doesn't really matter how many other holes we may have, God is ALWAYS waiting with open arms to welcome us, and lavish His love and attention on us!

So, needless to say, if you see me wearing a certain gray sweater . . .;-)


Maria McKiernan

No comments:

Post a Comment