Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Waiting Room

As I read the various events transpiring in the world today - the escalation of widespread violence, the decline (or absence) of morality, the global political unrest, the unprecedented weather phenomena, etc. - I sometimes desperately yearn for my heavenly home in ways I suppose I hadn't when I was younger. I recognize that there is much to do while here, and don't get me wrong, I am excited "being about my Father's business" - yet still, a part of me is homesick . . .

This reminds me of an entry in a devotional I read recently, where the author was in a doctor's waiting room, very impatiently aware that he was long past his scheduled appointment time. He was getting more and more frustrated and annoyed at "the people who show up late for their appointments, and expect everyone else who arrives on time to understand the ensuing delay!" All of a sudden, the doctor himself arrived, went into the back offices, after which the nurse announced that the doctor would begin seeing patients now. Needless to say, the author was ashamed of himself for not having realized that a simple delay for him might have meant the difference between life and death for someone else!

Likewise, our heavenly Father delays the return of His Son not simply to dishearten us or to have us doubt our faith regarding this matter; but rather, to allow many more to hear and respond to the good news of salvation. So, as I pass my time in this "waiting room" of life - Lord, give me Your heart that is so greatly concerned with the redemption of humanity, starting in my own backyard!


"The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."    2 Peter 3:9 (NIV)



Maria McKiernan

No comments:

Post a Comment